CRCC Asia | Claims Center

Claim Submission

Did you know you can submit claims with your phone? All you need to do is gather your itemized bills and receipts, complete a claim form and then take a picture with your phone and email those images to

Online Claims Tracking

Setting up a
New Account

If you have not yet used the system, setting up your account is simple and easy — just follow these steps:
  • Visit the My Account Registration page
  • Complete all the form details. (your Certificate Number is the "Seven Corners Certificate #:" on your ID Card)
  • Once you have done that, the system will walk you through the rest of the setup process

Form Downloads

Claim Form
Submission Details

Claims FAQ’s

What is an EOB?

An EOB is an explanation of how your plan benefits were applied to your claims, so in other words what your insurance has paid and has not paid. Through My Account you will be able to download your EOB's which will explain any amounts you still owe, what amounts have been paid and anything you need to action (such as completing a claim form). You can download our sample EOB that outlines and explains how to read this document.

How are medical claims processed in the USA?

If you are receiving treatment through your insurance plans network, the doctor/hospital should submit the bill directly to Seven Corners for processing. You will need to make sure to hand over a copy of your insurance ID card at the time of treatment, as this contains all the information about your insurance plan.

If the provider is not part of the network or you do not have your insurance ID card with you, they will typically ask for payment to be made upfront, and you would need to submit a claim form for reimbursement. Please keep copies of all receipts, bills and your full medical records so you can submit that to Seven Corners along with a completed claim form.

How are medical claims processed outside the USA?

If you are based outside the USA, please call Seven Corners or locate a doctor/hospital online that is close to you to seek treatment. In most cases you will need to pay for your medical expenses at the time of treatment and then submit a claim for reimbursement.

How do you get reimbursed for medications? If you have been given a prescription medication by the doctor, please do the following:
  1. Visit any local pharmacy and hand over the prescription from your doctor.
  2. Pay the pharmacy in full for your medications.
  3. Complete a claim form and include your original receipts to be reimbursed for your prescribed medications.
How do I find out the status of my insurance claim? If you would like to find out the status of a claim, you can either email, log into your My Account online or call Seven Corners on:

Student Zone

Learn more about using and managing your international insurance plan:

24-Hour Assistance:

Toll-free: (877) 702-6767
Direct: + 1 (317) 582-2622